A variety of assessment options exist for identifying skills to target for learners diagnosed with Autism and other developmental disabilities. Many practitioners are trained on a specific assessment with little regard to the appropriateness of that assessment for the learner. This presentation discusses how to individualize the assessment process to create the most effective intervention program for each learner. Additionally, video examples are provided that demonstrate how to observe a learner and assess skills without using a commercially available assessment.
Participants will be able to:
- Describe at least 3 different commercially available assessments for learners with autism
- Identify at least 1 commercially available assessment for young learners with autism
- Define the term “core” assessment and explain how this can be used to develop intervention
- Describe the 4 different learner profiles and identify typical assessments/programs used for such profiles
- Conduct assessments with learners without using a commercially available assessment
- Identify at least 1 assessment that can be used to address barriers to learning