The Parent is Always Right: Effectively Training Parents in Behavior Analytic Interventions - Group
The effectiveness of behavior analytic interventions hinges on how well we can train parents and other caregivers to implement behavioral strategies in the natural environment. The purpose of this webinar is to review parent training materials, policies and procedures, and practices that we use to effectively train parents. Resources that help support effective parent training are also discussed. Participants will learn how to conduct more structured parent training and will receive examples to documents that can be used when conducting parent training.
- Participants will be able to explain recommended guidelines for parent training
- Participants will be able to explain at least 3 recommendations for parent training and coaching
- Participants will be able to explain appreciative inquiry and how to apply it within parent training
- Participants will be able to apply at least 1 strategy for collaborating with parents
- Participants will be able to apply at least 1 strategy for documenting parent training activities
Megan Miller, Ph.D., BCBA-D, LBA (pronouns she/her/hers) is Chief Clinical Officer of DoBetter Collective. Megan earned her Ph.D. in Special Education and Behavior Analysis at The Ohio State University in 2015. Dr. Miller’s early training in behavior analysis occurred at the Cleveland Clinic Center for Autism as a volunteer/intern in 2003. Since that time, she has provided services to over 100 children diagnosed with autism and other disabilities. Dr. Miller has taught courses in behavior analysis and special education as an adjunct professor for several universities. She has co-authored journal articles published in the Journal of Developmental Physical Disability, Behavior Analysis in Practice, and Teaching Exceptional Children. She also co-authored “The 7 Steps to Earning Instructional Control” with Robert Schramm, BCBA. Megan has provided over 40 presentations to numerous professional organizations around the globe. In 2018, Dr. Miller started the #dobetter professional development movement to improve access to training in best practices in the field of behavior analysis via a free online community, webinars, and a podcast.