ABLLS-R, AFLS, VBMAPP, ESDM, PEAK!?!? Choosing the Right Assessment for Your Learner with Autism – Group
A variety of assessment options exist for identifying skills to target for learners diagnosed with Autism and other developmental disabilities. Many practitioners are trained on a specific assessment with little regard to the appropriateness of that assessment for the learner. This presentation discusses how to individualize the assessment process to create the most effective intervention program for each learner. Additionally, video examples are provided that demonstrate how to observe a learner and assess skills without using a commercially available assessment.
Participants will be able to:
- Describe at least 3 different commercially available assessments for learners with autism
- Identify at least 1 commercially available assessment for young learners with autism
- Define the term “core” assessment and explain how this can be used to develop intervention
- Describe the 4 different learner profiles and identify typical assessments/programs used for such profiles
- Conduct assessments with learners without using a commercially available assessment
- Identify at least 1 assessment that can be used to address barriers to learning
Megan Miller, Ph.D., BCBA-D, LBA
Megan Miller, Ph.D., BCBA-D, LBA (pronouns she/her/hers) is Chief Clinical Officer of DoBetter Collective. Megan earned her Ph.D. in Special Education and Behavior Analysis at The Ohio State University in 2015. Dr. Miller’s early training in behavior analysis occurred at the Cleveland Clinic Center for Autism as a volunteer/intern in 2003. Since that time, she has provided services to over 100 children diagnosed with autism and other disabilities. Dr. Miller has taught courses in behavior analysis and special education as an adjunct professor for several universities. She has co-authored journal articles published in the Journal of Developmental Physical Disability, Behavior Analysis in Practice, and Teaching Exceptional Children. She also co-authored “The 7 Steps to Earning Instructional Control” with Robert Schramm, BCBA. Megan has provided over 40 presentations to numerous professional organizations around the globe. In 2018, Dr. Miller started the #dobetter professional development movement to improve access to training in best practices in the field of behavior analysis via a free online community, webinars, and a podcast.