This presentation will cover conceptual and practical considerations for school based behavior analysts who work with individuals who experience restraint and seclusion. Emphasis will be placed on strategies to prevent and reduce restraint and seclusion at the systems and classroom levels, as well as at the individual client level. Discussion will include ethical and risk considerations, culturing staff buy-in, practical factors influencing safety.
- The participant will explain common reasons why restraint and seclusion are used in schools.
- The participant will identify key components of a systems level behavior support framework in schools.
- The participant will identify key components of a classroom level behavior support framework.
- The participant will provide examples of individual client level safety considerations.
- The participant will explain key ethics considerations when considering the use of restraint and seclusion in schools.