Difficult Discussions #6: How to have difficult discussions about the field
The purpose of Difficult Discussions is to bring together people with different perspectives and different identities to share their perspectives on a topic that is typically considered taboo to discuss, seen as controversial, and/or is well accepted but maybe should involve more critical analysis and discussion. The format for these events is as follows:
- None of the panelists will directly respond to anything the other panelists say except in Part 3.
- Part 1: Each person will briefly share any identities they are comfortable sharing and indicate why they wanted to discuss this topic
- Part 2: Each person will provide about a 5-10 minute explanation of their history and perspectives with the topic.
- Part 3: Each panelist will briefly reflect on 1 thing said by one of the panelist to share an a-ha moment or something they hadn’t considered before
- Part 4: Each panelist will share a closing thought about the topic. This might be an action item, a key point they want listeners to carry with them, etc.
The views and opinions expressed in the Difficult Discussions video are those of each individual person and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of any affiliated company or professional organization.