We Don't Train Parents: Why Words Matter When Extending Our Science with Jamie Waldvoegal
For over a decade, leaders in our field have suggested a variety of ways we should disseminate our science. We discuss the limitations to those suggestions and offer a more realistic alternative that EVERY behavior analyst in all levels of a company, serving all populations can disseminate our science. We suggest alternative words to use when teaching others about our science, as well as other modifications we can make to our service delivery models to ensure outcomes and promote client buy-in, while staying true to our science.
- Identify at least 5 words/terms/phrases they use with parents that are too technical
- Suggest more appropriate terms for #1 above.
- Identify one way that they can simplify their current parent training to improve parent buy-in.
Jamie Waldvoegal, BCBA
Included with Trail Blazers, Paid
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.
Jamie founded Behave Your Best in 2011 when she realized that her experience in behavior analysis enabled her to parent with skills not every parent had access to. Her background uniquely positions her to train parents with the tools to parent effectively and without drama.
Watching her skills work in real time at home as well as in the lives of the many families she serves sparked a passion in Jamie to empower this generation of parents. She wants to see parents develop behavioral parenting strategies so they can overcome “normal” unwanted behavior before it gets “bad enough” to warrant further intervention. Jamie believes that with the right tools, all parents can enjoy their child’s behavior!
- BS, Psychology, Emphasis in Behavior Analysis, University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire
- MS, Behavior Analysis and Therapy, Southern Illinois University
- Board Certified Behavior Analyst since 2003
- Contracted by parents, preschools, school districts, and counties to provide behavioral consulting and coaching since 2011